I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Bunco madness!

I hosted Bunco at my house last night. It was my first time hosting and I was so nervous. I don't entertain on a regular basis, other than my 8-yr-old daughter's friends which doesn't really count. They are happy with a pizza from Little Caesars and a 2-liter of root beer. I got all stressed out after talking to my sister-in-law(SIL) who has been doing Bunco for years. She told me I absolutely should not buy food from Costco- that makes for a terrible night.
So I fretted and worried about what on earth I would make and what gifts would be "good enough." I took a friend from our group shopping with me, and we got some really great prizes from a cute local store called "Rod Works." I felt much better. Then we did go to Costco to buy food, I found out my group isn't as snobby as my SIL. I ended up getting a big ol' chocolate cake and some lettuce, they just didn't have anything that looked all that yummy, I was shocked. I ended up making Lemon Rosemary Chicken, Garlic Smashed Potatoes, homemade rolls, spinach dip, Little smokies and caramel pecans, and a caesar salad. I also made some Lemon Water to drink and we had various sodas as well. I REALLY did not intend on actually cooking so much of the food, I honestly don't know what happened. I spent almost the entire day yesterday in the kitchen, but it was really worth it in the end.
Once people started coming I just relaxed and really just enjoyed myself. The food turned out great, everyone kept going back for more which never really happens. I was really expecting to have tons of leftovers, I didn't expect others to have abandoned their New Year's Resolutions as quickly as I did too!
It was the loudest night of Bunco I think we have ever had, definitely the loudest I have ever been to. I was laughing so hard! And the very best part, I WON!! I never win. Ever. I'm lucky to get one Bunco all night long, and usually am 20 pts off getting the low score prize. I rolled 6 Buncos. Two of them back to back in the very last two games. Here's my prize:

It's cute, but I am going to return it to get a couple items at the store that I liked better. Shhh, don't tell! That's the really nice thing about hosting, you have the receipts and you know which gift cost the most money!! :)

2 comments:

Shayla said...

Okay, so I'm probably going to sound totally stupid, but what is Bunco??? And your menu sounds delicious!

slyn said...

No you aren't stupid at all! I will try my best to explain... you have three dice and you start out trying to roll all 1's. Every time you roll a 1 you get one point and you can roll again. If you roll 3 ones you get "Bunco" and then everyone moves on to 2's, etc up to 6. We play four games and then have prizes for the most buncos, the highest score, the lowest score, traveler (something you get for rolling all 2's) and then a roll off. It's really just an attempt at being social for me.
Thanks for the compliment on the menu, they were mostly your recipes! ;)