I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Tennis Cake-- Ace! :)

Ha ha! I am so funny! I am also very late in getting pictures/explanations of my latest cake logged. Oh well, life has been too busy lately.
It all started with the racquet. My friend, Jill, asked me to make a cake for her son, Taylor's, 15th birthday. He is #1 on the Varsity tennis team so she asked for a chocolate cake with a tennis theme. It was a challenge for me, I've never made a "boy" cake before! So I turned to CakeCentral and searched the gallery for tennis cakes. Pretty slim pickings!! I did find one rectangular cake with the court on top and a 3D tennis racquet and balls on top. I liked it, so I found out he plays with a Prince Diablo racquet and decided to make a miniature racquet for his cake. I made two racquets out of fondant 2 weeks prior to the birthday, but the never dried!! So I made two more out of gumpaste and they wouldn't dry either!! I was panicking big time! The night before they still weren't dry, so I had a fan blowing on them and I used the cool setting on my blow dryer and desperately tried to get them to dry. They didn't!
I painted it and left it to dry as long as possible. I ended up piping royal icing on the back of the racquet to give it support. Here it is all finished. Can you see that I broke part of the handle and had to glue it back on in this photo? Well I did! :)


While things were drying I made the cake, torted, crumb coated, frosted and covered in chocolate fondant. I then cut different size circles etc out of different shades of chocolate fondant to go on the sides and the top of the cake. I also made the gumpaste tennis balls and bent the wires into spiral shapes. Here is a picture of the cake with the fondant details:
I then piped "Happy Birthday Taylor" on the side of the cake with black royal icing. I think it turned out nicely. I have a little trick for getting "nice" writing. I find a font and size I want on the computer, print it up and then transfer it to the cake by holding the print out up to the cake and poking through the letters with a pin. Clever huh?

The next step was to put on the racquet and the balls. I warmed the wire with a candle before putting a ball on, worked like a dream! I just poked the racquet in the cake with the wire I had inserted before it had dried. I used a little glob of royal icing to keep the ball in place.
I couldn't decide if I should put everything on before or after delivery, but went with before because I knew I was just driving down the street and I HAD to get pictures! So here is the totally finished product:

They really liked it and they also thought it tasted as good as it looked. That always means a lot to me, it has to taste good!

I thought I would also include a picture of what happened to one of the last racquets I was trying to dry on a drying rack on the table. I should know better than to leave anything below a 10' height!!


For easter we made Bunny Cakes. We made on larger bunny (6" cake cut in half) and then we made mini bunnies that we gave to Grandma and Grandpa and our Bishop. I unfortunately did not get pictures of those, but they turned out really cute. Didn't Julia do a great job? She gave him green eyes like her mommy! :)

4 comments:

~Kristie said...

I've already told you how fantastic that cake looks, but now I'm glad you have a blog entry of it so you can always look back years later and see the beginnings of your future!

By the way, tell Sydni to quit growing up!

Shayla said...

Seriously, A-MAZ-ING!! You are really, really good, Steph. I really tried to follow how you made that racquet, but you totally lost me. I don't know how you did it, but it is so cool. What did Ja think? So, I really, really need your expertise for recipes on just making the cake and frosting part. I need to call or email, this week has been too crazy. I ended up buying an edible cake image of Jasmine, now I just need to make a yummy cake and do little decorations around the image. Help...??!! :-) BTW, did I tell you how amazing that cake looks!?

Anonymous said...

Ahh shucks! Thanks my two faithful readers!

Jessica said...

Your cake is so cool! I can't wait to take my fondant class to learn how to work with it, I have never had any luck with it! I also love the ladybug cake from a post way back, my daughter had a ladybug birthday a few years back and I did just the ladybug cake, it was cute but I am loving the other two that you did along with it. Sorry for the long post, but I enjoyed reading your blog, and thanks for the comment on mine!