I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Socks

Well I did it! I knit my first pair of socks and here they are in all their glory? ? ? Bear in mind, they are my first pair. The first sock is on the left and I was actually very pleased by how it turned out. It wasn't as difficult as I had feared either. I did not have trouble with the gusset or the heel turn. I did have trouble with my sizing, the heel, and the bind off.
I ended up making a sock that fits my husband. I really need size 0 or maybe 1's to make socks for myself, I think... We'll see when I get new needles!
On the heel I kept my yarn forward when I slipped my stitches purlwise which I think was wrong to do. (don't laugh, I'm new at all this! ;) I kept the yarn back on the second sock and like how that looks better. Here are the pictures of both heels as well.
I did run into trouble again when it came time to bind off. I still need things spelled out for me, so to just tell me to "bind off" didn't cut it. The first time I bound off, it was so tight Ja couldn't get it on his foot. So I searched the internet and tried a few more instructions I found and finally decided that I just needed to use a larger size needle and the Russian bind off. One small problem though, I started doing the finances and buying new needles, yarn, etc just does not fit in the budget right now. Everything came to a stand still, but I really wanted to finish my second sock. What's a girl to do? I bound off sloppily(seen on the right) and figured I'd fix it later. So here are pictures of my first bind off on sock one and the improved correct bind off on sock 2 (pictured on the left). I discovered I really don't need a larger needle, I can be loose!
I keep debating on whether or not to felt these socks. I think I could get them to fit my daughter and then all my little flaws will be gone. Ja can wear them around the house until I decide.
In the meantime, I started smariek's Asherton Hat. I am knitting it in Lion Brand Wool-ease in the Heather colorway. Yup the same yarn I made the Braided Hat out of. I have tons of it left.

1 comment:

~Kristie said...

YEAH! Your very first pair! I'm so proud of you. I even showed Bobby & he smiled! I feel bad that you have no needles to make socks for yourself, so watch your mail for a KnitPicks order!