I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Sneak Peek

I know I am terrible at blogging, but I decided to share a sneak peak of my latest endeavor. I also could not resist sharing some pictures of the girls. They are really enjoying Mommy's new hobby.

A lot! "Arr! It's nummy Mommy!" I love my little pirate!


I have decided I can't really call myself a "business" just yet. It's just three cake orders and for I know the whole thing will shrivel up and die after that. Hopefully not, I really do love it, but it is entirely possible when you consider you can run down to Costco and buy a gynormous cake for at least half the price of what I need to charge. Enough about that though, here comes your peek...

One down two more to go. This bow is entirely edible, although I wouldn't recommend it. I made it out of gumpaste and may I just say, if you thought fondant was bad, well it is creme brulee compared to this stuff!!! Blech!!!!!


This is the cake topper. Also completely edible and possibly a bit more palatable. I did paint the gold luster dust with lemon extract... You be my guest. I will stick to the hopefully delectable cakes inside. Tomorrow I will be baking the lemon cake for the top layer, the white cakes for the center and the chocolate cakes for the bottom. Not to mention, finishing the other two bows, mixing the frosting, and cleaning out my fridge so I have room for the assembly! Fun stuff! Oh how I wish I had a dedicated freezer fridge... maybe some day. Wish me luck!

Oh in case you read this Shayla, I am making your Light and Fluffy Chocolate Frosting. I got the recipe from your Mom. Yummy!!!! If anyone is interested I will post it here.

3 comments:

~Kristie said...

Are you making a cake for someone's 165th birthday? I'm baffled by what the letters mean. Is this a housewarming cake and the house numbers are 165? I just can't imagine why you're decorating the numbers 165. I'll bet at some point you'll be purchasing a dedicated fridge/freezer in a year!

slyn said...

It is for a 165th birthday, but that is all the help you get!

Shayla said...

I was wondering the same thing, Kristi. What the heck are the numbers 165 for? They're cute anyway. And the bow is adorable...did you actually tie it or does it just appear to be that way through your magical gumpaste miracle fingers? So, I need a cake for Natalie's 3rd birthday next week and Kenzie's 6th bday next month. How about it? :-) Natalie wants an Ariel party and I'll be going to the local Walmart to purchase a pre-made one I'm afraid. I thought about buying the Ariel cake pan and doing it myself, but after the cost of the cake pan and the ingredients, I could buy a cake from Walmart and stress a whole lot less. BTW, the Light and Fluffy chocolate frosting is delish, it's from the Cake Mix Doctor cookbooks. I've been wanting to try out all the recipes you used on your last cake, but joining Weight Watchers last month has put a kink in that whole plan. Good luck with your latest cake endeavors!