I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

No!

Ahhh the joys of having a 2-yr-old in the home, how I missed them! Tantrums at the slightest disappointments, waking during the middle of the night, and the late late night, and the so very early morning, and 30 min before the alarm goes off, refusing to eat, refusing to dress, suddenly developing "hearing loss," the ability to make any room in the house look like a tornado has blown through in a mere 10 seconds, and my absolute favorite- when they answer every question with "NO!!"


I did not forget about potty training, this is the topic Sydni says "no!" to the most. I have waffled on which potty training technique to use and settled with the "no technique at all let them do it themselves" technique. I know a few people who have done it this way and had great success. The appeal is overwhelming- no sticker charts, no constant trips to the bathroom, no need to have goodies around the house all the time, you just wait until they are ready and they just suddenly start doing it one day. I introduced the whole potty scene when Sydni was a little over 2-yr-old. Just showed her the seat gave her the basics, no pressure. We read "No More Diapers" practically every night and Sydni tells me she wants to say good-bye to her diapers in the morning, but every morning when I ask if she's ready the reply is the same, "NO!!!" I just kept telling myself, no big deal! She's young, she'll show interest when she's ready. Sydni will be 3 in October, and she still has absolutely no desire to go potty. I'm not even sure she is truly aware of what goes on down there. She was excited about wearing panties and even went all day (twice) wearing them without an accident. She has never gone potty anywhere but in her diaper. She's hopped up on the toilet all excited about going, but then hops right off to wash her hands. I've really tried my best not to pressure her in to this because I didn't want a battle of wills, but am I being too relaxed? Where am I going wrong? I really didn't think it was possible to fail at this non-technique, but some how I have managed it. Maybe it's just the environment here, I started babysitting for my friend recently. She has two little girls one is 6 mo younger than Sydni and the other is 2 months old. The 2-yr-old Hannah, is potty trained, but won't go potty for me, even with the special Dora seat and chocolate rewards. Maybe it's me! I don't know. Potty training was a nightmare with Julia too. She wanted to at 17-mo though, so I thought this time around if the child were older it would be easier. Any potty experts out there? Any help at all??? I'm open to all advice/encouragement!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble, im sure her time will come when shes ready.

As for the book swap, check out my recent reads, if theres something you want maybe ill send you the book and you can send me hmmm some craft stuff? well figure something out!

Melissa said...

I'm sorry... potty training is the WORST. I let my kids run around naked. Yeah, I had to clean up a few messes, but they were very aware of what was going on when they went. I think they don't really get it when they have a diaper or even underwear on. Then we'd talk about going on the potty... sometimes, I would load them up on as much juice as I thought they could drink. Then, I'd take them in there and we would just sit for awhile. Reading stories... blowing bubbles... singing songs. All in the hope that they would have to go while we were in there. Those are a few things that worked for us... stickers and rewards didn't work so well for my kids. Good luck!!

~Kristie said...

Blake wasn't interested in potty training either until he was just about to turn 3, but personally having a child older than 3 in diapers is just ... weird to me. I love Melissa's ideas of letting her run around naked. If she has to pee pee, she'll probably bring you her diaper and then you can just set her on the toilet and make the toilet a fun place to sit for a few minutes. It will happen.

Jessica said...

My two girls were TOTALLY different. I did what Melissa did, load them up on juice then sit on the toilet and color, read stories, then when they went made a HUGE deal out of it. With my younger one we had to get a potty treat jar. We got a plastic one from Walmart, then potty stickers that they have for scrapbooking. We put on it Tia's potty treats. She helped me decorate it and I let her pick out any candy she wanted. It helped a lot, but she was 3 1/2 before she got it!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Having never gone through it myself, I can only say that I live in FEAR for the day I have to do it with Noah. He shows absolutely no interest in it yet, and I think I'm kind of okay with that for now. Good luck!!!