Too much pain!
I am so confused about what to do that I thought maybe if I write about it, I'll be able to sort everything out.
I've had TMJ disorder pain for a while now. Two years ago I went to an orthodontist who claimed to treat TMJ problems. I felt reassured that they knew what they were doing and was very pleased that I wouldn't need surgery, which I'd been told by other doctors I would. Fast forward two years, braces are now off and my TMJ pain is now ten times worse than it was before. The orthodontist who treated me did try different things that were supposed to help, but nothing did. He finally kept telling me to go to a chiropractor and that the problem was in my neck, not my jaw. I did try the chiropractor, but going to the chiropractor every week for the rest of my life just isn't a solution. The pain starts in my jaw and facial muscles, not my neck. I really don't have much neck pain unless I've been knitting or looking down for long periods of time. So I see a dentist who is trained in Bioesthetic Dentistry. I have been through the initial work up and tomorrow will discover what he thinks needs to happen.
This morning I get a call from a neighbor who heard what has been going on ans she tells me she has been to the dentist I am currently seeing and had a horrible experience. So now I'm left wondering if I am doing the right thing or not. She recommended getting a NTI appliance or at the very least getting a second opinion. The NTI looked pretty lame to me, but what do I know? I had a similar device about 4 years ago and it was completely useless. I'm just so tired of my face feeling like it is on fire and having pretty severe headaches that may be migraines every single day. It's hard to talk myself into moving at all. I really would rather stay in bed all day and that is so not like me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good night's sleep, but I hate just laying around all day. I have to do something or I go nuts. Lately I could care less. It hurts to do everything. Even laying in bed all day isn't really an option. I cannot stand to lay on my side because of the pressure on my jaw, so I end up on my back which eventually kills my back. I was doing well before my braces came off, I'd been exercising, eating somewhat decent, I did more around the house and now I do nothing. I like to eat when I am in pain. Especially when I have a headache, I keep thinking that food will make it better, maybe a little shot of sugar will be just what I need. Nope, it doesn't. I just watch the numbers on the scale get higher and higher and my clothes get tighter and tighter.
Well I am just as confused as I was when I started this post. Now you know why I have no finished projects to show or anything else for that matter. I am making painfully slow progress on my second sock though. Maybe next week it will be finished.
I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The NTI may look lame, but if it helps, wouldn't it be worth the try? I know you're sick of trying though. I think you should get a couple of opinions regardless of what the dr says tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry. Did you search for specialists online in your area?
Hang in there!
Yes I researched for specialists yesterday, that's what prompted the post. I was having a hard time sifting through all the info. I made an appt with another doctor next week. We shall see...
Have you considered seeing a chiropractor for your TMJ?
Post a Comment