Yesterday was the big cake delivery day. Everything went much better than I was anticipating, which is always nice. I did have a few bumps along the road, but it all turned out great in the end. I really had a great time planning and executing these cakes. It did get pretty stressful I must admit. When I have made cakes for my kids or my sister's kids, I've always known if things totally flopped I could just run to Walmart or something and pick a bakery cake up, but this time I would ruin poor little Camrie's 1st Birthday! I just kept reminding myself to relax and enjoy the process, this is something I love doing.
There has been a lot of preparation beforehand, mostly because I wanted to try some new recipes. I thought it was cheesy that I just use a cake mix, so I attempted to make a Perfect White Cake. I have never used a filling in a cake before and I also wanted to try some new frosting recipes. I made three cakes, a white with strawberry cream cheese filling, a chocolate with chocolate cream cheese filling, and a small white cake for the baby. I tried a Swiss Meringue Buttercream, a Crusting Buttercream Frosting, a Creamy Chocolate Frosting, a Cheesecake Mousse Filling, a Chocolate Filling from another cake recipe, and then I invented my own fillings! :)
First off, the Swiss Meringue was too buttery for me, and I had read that because they are so buttery, they will get super soft when left at room temp. I knew I wanted this frosting for the cake on the bottom, so not a good match. It had a very smooth velvety texture, but it really had a strong butter flavor that I am not sure I enjoy.
The Crusting Buttercream is awesome!! I love the texture and the flavor is mild and wonderful. I will be using this recipe for all my future cakes!
The Creamy Chocolate Frosting is also exactly what it says, creamy and absolutely delicious. I seriously could have sat down with a spoon and eaten the entire batch without cake, but I love frosting.
The Cheesecake Mousse is just what it says, a mousse. It tasted delicious and I will use it for crepe filling in the future, but it was just too soft for the bottom of my cake and the cheesecake flavor wasn't quite strong enough for me. It really is delicious though.
The Chocolate filling is awesome on the cake it belongs to, but was not quite firm enough for my layer cake.
Monday afternoon I started baking the cakes from the box and mixing up the fillings and frostings. I cleaned my Kitchenaid mixer more times than I ever want to again!!! Monday night I tweaked some recipes to get my filling recipes, unfortunately the strawberry cheese cake was still too soft. But all the cakes assembled easily.
Here is a picture of the cakes all torted, filled and iced waiting for their fondant covers. I used the Viva paper towel method to smooth the icing. Love it!!!
Later that night I covered the cakes and started working on the lady bugs. That's when I discovered the fondant completely changed texture because of the red coloring. I had also read about this problem online and had used more powdered sugar and some corn syrup to compensate, but it still didn't work. So Plan B- make the bugs out of white fondant and paint them. I stayed up until 2:30 forming all my little buggies. I gave them overnight, or actually a few hours to dry. I got up at 8 and started painting. Here they are all painted and drying by an open window.
The white swirly thing was going to be the antanae of the little lady bug cake, but the fondant didn't dry so I ended up making them out of royal icing. Then came the really fun part, decorating! I had a lot of fun. I don't think I'm very good at writing with icing, but I really like Camrie's name. I also like the lady bug's "trails." Here are a few pictures- one when they are in the fridge right after they were finished and a few I snapped right before I delivered them. I didn't have time to take any more.
5 comments:
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Those are SO CUTE! I mean, I knew they were going to be cute, but I had NO IDEA they'd be THIS CUTE! I really think you should consider this as a career in the near future. You are so stinkin' talented at this.
I just got hired for another cake next month! Maybe that is where I am headed...
OH MY GOSH!!! That is totally adorable, I can't believe how cute it turned out. So, you got paid to do it? That's so awesome. And hired for another already...? That's how it happens, I've been getting requests for web design constantly and now I'm totally overwhelmed. It's easier to do stuff as favors than for money...at least until they give you the check. :-)
Absolutely stunning! You have a future in this! WOW.
OMG -- those are adorable!! I love the little ladybugs -- I can't believe you had to paint them all by hand! Beautiful work!
Post a Comment