I'm a stay-at-home mother of two (soon to be three) married to one of the greatest men on the planet. This blog is simply an easy way for me to share a slice of our lives with family and friends.

Monday, November 20, 2006

It's starting to smell like Thanksgiving!

Today I am roasting the vegetables to begin making the stock for the turkey brine. Wonderful smells are filling the home and I cannot wait for Thursday. Hopefully I will not be too exhausted to enjoy the food and company.

Does anyone have Thanksgiving traditions? My husband's family always just ate and ate and they were all skinny as a rail. Growing up I remember helping my mom the night before Thanksgiving. It was always the children's job to tear up the bread for the stuffing. Thinking back it seems like we tore up a hundred loaves, but it was probably only two. On Thanksgiving Day we would rehearse our version of "The First Thanksgiving" while the turkey roasted away. I'm sure my parents have some highly embarrassing footage of us sailing to the new world on my sister, the Mayflower. I remember one year after my older sisters had all gone to college, my brother and I were the only ones who still wanted to carry this tradition on so we used our Cabbage Patch dolls. I know there is no way I could convince my hubby's family to do the play, but maybe if we could just go for a walk and enjoy the crisp autumn air before coming home to warm apple and pumpkin pies... That would be just about perfect to me.

2 comments:

~Kristie said...

So was I the Mayflower? You're not helping me with my weight issue complex!

Stephanie said...

In Weight Watchers last week, our leader was encouraging us to take a nice walk before sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner, or between dinner and dessert. Not a bad idea!